Important Changes to Local Housing Allowance in Sunderland from January 2012
Posted: Oct 17, 2011
If you have a tenant in a property in Sunderland who claims local housing allowance, it is key that you know about the change in the age limit for shared room rates. At NGU Homelettings we are experts in local housing allowance tenants and can offer the advice and help you need.
There is a pending change coming in the form of a rise of the shared room rate age limit from 25 to 35.
Originally this change was due to come into force in April 2012, however Ministers have decided that the change should be brought forward to take effect from January 2012.
This means that single claimants under age 35 making a claim on or after 1st January 2012 will be entitled to the shared room rate (currently £44.00 per week) rather than the one bedroom rate (currently £90.00 per week).
Tenants who moved into the property between April 2011 and January 2012 will see a reduction in rates on the anniversary of their claim,
Tenants who moved into the property prior to April 2011 will be given a 9 month transitional period from the anniversary of their original claim before their rates are reduced.
If you want a letting agent who fully understands local housing allowance, NGU Homelettings is the agent for you. NGU Homelettings offer a personalised and premium service covering the entire North East.
- Thorough credit checking and vetting procedures
- 234 point inventories to protect your property and deposit
- Exports in local housing allowance- innovative armchair service for all new tenants to speed up benefit applications and ensure direct payments
- 98% rent collection- and increasing
- Good tenants, which means lower maintenance bills
- Quick rental of properties- all processes are based upon urgency
Contact NGU Homelettings on
Newcastle/ Gateshead/ Sunderland/ Durham
Northumberland and surrounding areas
0191 491 0344